Who Is Hamm?
Pianist, composer, teacher, Dennis Hamm began playing professionally at age 18 and has since worked with a diverse mix of artists. The albums Hamm appears on are a testament to his versatility. In the last three years Hamm was featured on albums as varied as MTV's Rock the Cradle winner Crosby Loggins' (son of Kenny Loggins) Indy Pop/Rock album "We All Go Home", the Prog-Rock Jazz Fusion of guitarist Greg Howe's "Sound Proof", in support of which Hamm toured Europe in late 2008, Katisse Buckingham's genre bending mix of hip-hop and modern jazz on "Lyrical Worker", and an upcoming modern country release by American Idol finalist Amy Adams, which Hamm also produced.
Other artists he has performed or recorded with are Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, John Densmore (The Doors), Buck Owens' "Buckaroos", Kenny Loggins, Pete Escovedo, Will Kennedy & Jimmy Haslip (The Yellowjackets), Jojo Mayer, Judith Hill (Michael Jackson), Ronald Bruner Jr., Cliff Almond, Ryan Leslie, Virgil Donati, Tony Macalpine, Justo Almario, Tony Royster Jr., Melvin Davis, Janek Gwizdala, Jimmy Branly, Carlitos del Puerto, Sandro Albert, Monty Byrom, The Smokin' Armadillos, and his own original projects including funk/jazz group Mother Funk Conspiracy featuring L.A. saxophonist Zane Musa.
Hamm began playing the piano at age four and by college he had developed a passion for jazz and salsa music. He attended Citrus College in Glendora and California State University Bakersfield where he studied piano and composition under Dr. Doug Davis. He was twice a member of the best combo and twice won the top pianist award at the largest west coast college jazz festival, Pacific Coast Collegiate Jazz Festival at UC Berkley.
Press & Reviews:
- "Dennis is a monster. The greatest Jazz keyboardist I've ever met far and away." - Crosby Loggins
- "It was a joy and a revelation for me to hear and play with someone so young yet so accomplished, understated, lyrical and cliche-free." - Richard Simon
- Cover Story
Sunday, May 19, 2002, an article featuring Dennis Hamm appeared on the front page of The Bakersfield Californian.
- The Jane Doe's - "You Bring The Devil" 2005
- MFC - "The Mother Funk Conspiracy" (Housekeeping Records) 2004
- The Smokin' Armadillos - "Strike the Match" (Housekeeping Records) 2003
- Dennis Hamm - "Dennis Hamm and the Citrus Allstars" 1999
- Mother Funk Conspiracy - "Heavy Junk" 1998
- Mento Buru - "No Dancing Please" (Moon Ska Records, NYC) 1997
Venues & Festivals:
- Shorline Amphitheatre - San Jose, CA
- The Kennedy Center - Washington D.C.
- Chronicle Pavillion - Concord, CA
- The Gorge Amphitheater - George, WA
- Luther Burbank Center - Santa Rosa, CA
- The Baked Potatoe - Hollywood, CA
- B.B. King's Blues Club - Hollywood, CA
- Buck Owen's Crystal Palace - Bakersfield, CA
- Centennial Garden - Bakersfield, CA
- Bakersfield Convention Center - Bakersfield, CA
- Fox Theater - Bakersfield, CA
- Bakersfield Jazz Festival - CSUB Amphitheatre, Bakersfield, CA
- Cambria Jazz Festival - Cambria, CA